Rates and Fees
FEES AND CHARGES
Pursuant to the policy and procedure established by the Board of Trustees, it is the responsibility of the dean, director, chancellor, and head of school, division, department and office for each area to assure that all fees and charges of any kind have been previously approved by the Board of Trustees or the executive vice president and treasurer or his designee. (See Executive Vice President and Treasurer Memo A-18.)
Board of Trustees Approved Rates and Fees
The following rates and fees will be specifically approved by the Board of Trustees:
- All student and staff fees related to the enrollment in Purdue University for credit course work.
- All fee charges for living in University-owned housing.
- Fees charged the students, staff, and public to attend major athletic events of the University.
- Deposits and charges required for application to Purdue University.
- Parking charges and fines - staff, students, and visitors.
- Purdue Memorial Union room rates.
- Changes to staff fringe benefits.
The Board of Trustees delegates to the executive vice president and treasurer, or his designee, responsibility and authority to establish and approve all other fees and charges on the West Lafayette campus and regional campuses, including but not limited to the following:
- Other educational services
- Testing fees
- Student Hospital services
- Veterinary Clinic charges
- Airport rates and charges
- Auxiliary Enterprise operations
- Charges for facilities use
- Sale of merchandise in various areas
- Non-traditional credit course fees for programs offered through Continuing Education Administration
A request for approval with a listing of the fees and charges should be forwarded to the Office of the Vice President for Business Services and Assistant Treasurer. If the fees and charges are variable in nature, a brief statement of the policy followed in establishing such fees and charges should be submitted.
For the academic areas, the business manager for each area coordinates and reviews all fees and charges.
This should be followed when submitting for request for approval of rates or fees. The items on the format are coded to refer to the following narrative explanation.
- Department : This should be the department responsible for administering the activity which will generate the income.
- Effective Date : The request should be submitted for approval prior to this date if at all possible. If the proposed rates have been in effect prior to submitting the request for approval, the date they became effective should be used.
- Description of Item : This should be in brief terms.
- Present Rates : If no rates have been previously approved, this heading should be eliminated.
- Proposed Rates : Depending on the number of items and different rates, the format in the "Rates" section will vary. External user rates must be justified in item 7 and the overhead must be consistent with the approved sponsored program overhead rate.
- Accounts to be Used for Income and Expenses : In addition to the account numbers, indicate the account names. Overhead from external users should be credited to University account number 010-1012-0000 using object code 4-6104.
- Explanation : This will be a brief narrative of the essential information regarding the activity and the rates.
- Previous Approval : This heading will be included only where previous approval exists. Refer to the date of the last previous approval.
In addition to submitting the form as prescribed above, a transmittal letter describing the activity in appropriate detail is required. The information transmitted should include the organization, purpose, clients, control, and accounting involved. If external rates are proposed, it is important to define external and internal users. A detailed budget where applicable should also be attached, showing the basis for establishing the rate and an explanation of how the income will be used. The transmittal letter should be noted and approved by the appropriate member(s) of the academic staff.