Payroll Outlines Procedures to Request a Temporary Social Security Number - 08/31/10
International employees, fellows and visiting scholars without a Social Security number (SSN) must obtain a temporary SSN before they can be set up in the University’s payroll system.
Business offices can obtain a temporary SSN for their employees, fellows and visiting scholars by following these guidelines:
1. Complete a Personnel Action (PA) form or Fellowship Action (FA) form. Leave blank the designated area for the SSN.
2. Fax a copy of the PA or FA form to the Payroll Department at (765) 494-1728. Payroll staff will issue a temporary SSN and provide it to the contact person listed on the PA or FA form.
3. Write the temporary SSN on the PA or FA form and forward the form for the appropriate signatures and approvals.
Employees must apply for a Social Security number if they do not already have one, and it is imperative that they visit the Social Security Administration (SSA) immediately.
When an employee applies for an SSN, business offices should also have the employee complete the Permission to Request SSN Form and send it to the Tax Department in Freehafer Hall. The form is used by the Tax Department to collect the employee’s SSN in case he/she leaves the University without providing the number.
Once the employee receives a valid SSN from the SSA, the employee’s department must follow these procedures:
1. Photocopy the Social Security card.
2. On the copy, indicate the employee’s PERNR, temporary SSN and valid SSN. (Sometimes the card is not legible when faxed.)
3. Fax a copy of the Social Security card with the PERNR, temporary SSN and valid SSN to the Payroll Department at (765) 494-1728.
Please direct questions to Payroll at firstname.lastname@example.org.