Purdue University Executive Memoranda Master Listing
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
EXECUTIVE MEMORANDUM No. C-16
(Superseded by Executive Memorandum No. C-16 dated March 19, 1993)
To: Deans, Directors, and Heads of Schools, Divisions, Departments, and Offices, and Regional Campus Chancellors
Re: Administrative and Professional Staff Advisory Committee
The purpose of this memorandum is to establish a committee to be known as the Administrative and Professional Staff Advisory Committee. This committee is being established to improve the exchange of information relating to policies, employment, and benefits with this staff. The purposes, responsibilities, and procedures of this committee are as follows:
The policy of Purdue University is to seek and consider suggestions and advice from University staff in the formation of policies and in the solution of problems affecting the staff's conditions of employment.
PURPOSES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE
- To provide members of the administrative and professional staff with a means of representative participation through suggestions and advice in the formation or change of policies affecting conditions of employment.
- To provide a means of communication between the administrative and professional staff and the University's senior administrators.
This committee shall be known as the Administrative and Professional Staff Advisory Committee.
The committee shall be comprised of members representing an approximately equal number of administrative and professional staff as listed below. In addition there will be one member of the administrative and professional staff representing each of the Regional Campuses.
Number of Members Representing 3 School of Agriculture and County
1 Schools of Engineering 1 Schools of:
Consumer and Family Sciences
Humanities, Social Science, and Education
Pharmacy, Pharmacal Sciences,
Nursing, and Health Sciences
1 School of:
1 Areas Reporting to:
Vice President for Development
Vice President for Research
Vice President and Dean of
of the Graduate School
Vice President for State Relations
Affirmative Action Office
Director of University Relations
1 Vice President for Student Services 1 Vice President for Housing and Food Services 2 Vice President for Business Services
and Internal Auditor
1 Vice President for Physical Facilities 1 Vice President and Dean of
1 Calumet Regional Campus 1 Fort Wayne Regional Campus 1 North Central Regional Campus
- Appointments to this committee shall be for a three year term beginning 1 January and ending 31 December. Approximately one-third of the total membership shall be appointed each year.
- (1) To establish the committee, administrative and professional staff members will be appointed by the President based upon recommendations from the various Deans or Directors, Vice Presidents, Regional Campus Chancellors for their respective school, division, or regional campus. For the first appointments only one-third of the members shall be appointed for one (1) year, one-third for two (2) years, and one-third for three (3) years.
(2) Membership replacements
- After the appointment of the initial committee, members of the administrative and professional staff shall make application to serve. A subcommittee of the Administrative and Professional Staff Advisory Committee members from the West Lafayette campus shall select two people per vacancy and forward these two names to the appropriate school or division. Selection of replacement members from the regional campuses shall be made through appropriate procedures established by each regional campus.
- The Dean, Director, Vice President, or Regional Campus Chancellor shall select one of the two names submitted for each vacancy and forward the recommendation to the President for appointment to the committee.
CHAIR AND PRESIDING OFFICERS
- The chairperson shall serve for a term of one (1) year beginning 1 January and may succeed himself/ herself. He/she shall be elected by secret ballot annually at the first fall meeting of the Administrative and Professional Staff Advisory Committee.
- The presiding officer shall rotate between a vice president reporting to the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs or the Executive Vice President and Treasurer. The Executive Vice President and Treasurer shall recommend a presiding officer to the President for even-numbered years and the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs shall make the nomination for odd-numbered years. The presiding officer will be appointed by the President.
- The Director of Personnel Services; Director of Staff Benefits, Payroll and Insurance; Director of Fiscal Planning; and the Director of the Affirmative Action Office, or their designees, shall serve as resource members to this committee. The Director of Personnel Services, or his designee, shall also serve as an executive secretary.
- The committee shall serve as an advisory group as defined above.
- Meetings shall be held on a regular basis as needed. Members have the responsibility of arranging with their supervisor or department head for attendance at meetings. Supervisors and department heads are encouraged to arrange work schedules to permit members of the committee to attend meetings in pay status during normal working hours.
ORIGINATION OF MATTERS FOR COMMITTEE ACTION
Subject matter for discussion and action by the committee may originate by the following methods:
- By any individual staff member or group of staff members through a member of the committee; or by a written signed statement submitted to the committee.
- By the University's administration on behalf of the officers, department heads, heads of offices, or chairpersons of duly-appointed University committees.
Steven C. Beering