Purdue University Executive Memoranda Master Listing
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
EXECUTIVE MEMORANDUM No. C-16
(Supersedes Executive Memorandum No. C-16 dated May 6, 1988)
March 19, 1993
Re: Administrative and Professional Staff Advisory Committee
The Administrative and Professional Staff Advisory Committee was established in May of 1988 through Executive Memorandum C-16. The committee was established to improve the exchange of information relating to policies, employment and benefits with the administrative and professional staff. Over the past several years the need to increase representation due to the diverse group of administrative and professional staff has become evident. The purpose of this memorandum is to increase representation among the academic schools and areas reporting to the Vice President for Housing and Food Services. In addition, the memorandum modifies and defines the roles of the University officers and the Director of Personnel Services.
The policy of Purdue University is to seek and consider suggestions and advice from University staff in the formation of policies and in the solution of problems affecting conditions of employment.
PURPOSES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE
- To provide members of the administrative and professional staff with a means of representative participation through suggestions and advice in the formation or change of policies affecting conditions of employment.
- To provide a means of communication between the administrative and professional staff and the University's senior administrators.
This committee shall be known as the Administrative and Professional Staff Advisory Committee (APSAC).
The committee shall be comprised of members representing administrative and professional staff as listed in Attachment "A."
- Appointments to this committee shall be for a three-year term beginning January 1 and ending December 31. Approximately one-third of the total membership shall be appointed each year.
- Members of the administrative and professional staff shall make application to serve. A subcommittee of the Administrative and Professional Staff Advisory Committee from the West Lafayette campus shall select two people per vacancy and forward these two names to the appropriate Dean, Director or Vice President. Selection of members from the Regional Campuses shall be made through appropriate procedures established by each Regional Campus.
- The Dean, Director, Vice President, or Regional Campus Chancellor shall select one of the two names submitted for each vacancy and forward the recommendation to the President for appointment to the committee.
CHAIR, VICE CHAIR AND UNIVERSITY OFFICER
- The chairperson and vice chairperson shall serve for a term of one (1) year beginning January 1 and may succeed themselves. They shall be elected by majority vote at a fall meeting of the Administrative and Professional Staff Advisory Committee.
- A University officer appointed by the President shall serve as the principal liaison between the University administration and the committee.
- The Director of Personnel Services or his/her designee shall be responsible for:
- coordinating resource members and information;
- assisting the University officer with liaison functions as appropriate; and
- providing certain executive secretarial services (e.g. minutes of meetings).
- The committee shall serve as an advisory group as defined above.
- Meetings shall be held on a regular basis as needed. Members have the responsibility of arranging with their supervisor or department head for attendance at meetings. Supervisors and department heads are encouraged to arrange work schedules to permit members of the committee to attend meetings in pay status during normal working hours.
ORIGINATION OF MATTERS FOR COMMITTEE ACTION
Subject matter for discussion and action by the committee may originate by the following methods:
- By any individual staff member or group of staff members through a member of the committee or by a written signed statement submitted to the committee.
- By the University's administration on behalf of the officers, deans, department heads, heads of offices, or chairpersons of duly-appointed University committees.
|Areas of Representation
Offices, Departments, Divisions
|Number of Members|
|School of Agriculture and Cooperative Extension Service (at least one representative from the West Lafayette campus and one member from the Cooperative Extension Service)||3|
|School of Consumer and Family Sciences||1|
|School of Education||1|
|Schools of Engineering||1|
|School of Liberal Arts||1|
|School of Management||1|
|Schools of Pharmacy, Nursing and Health Sciences||1|
|School of Science||1|
|School of Technology||1|
|School of Veterinary Medicine||1|
Areas Reporting to:
Vice President and Dean of the Graduate School
Vice President for Development
Vice President for Human Relations
Vice President for Research
Vice President for State Relations
Vice President for University Relations
|Vice President for Housing and Food Services||2|
|Vice President for Student Services||1|
|Director of Investments
Vice President for Business Services
Vice President for Management Information
|Vice President for Physical Facilities||1|
|Center for Instructional Services
Office of the President
Purdue University Computing Center
Space Management and Academic Scheduling
|Fort Wayne Campus||1|
|North Central Campus||1|