Financial Responsibility FAQs
What is the Financial Responsibility Statement?
- This statement outlines the terms and conditions of the financial responsibilities and obligations associated with attending Purdue University.
- Review and update your annual agreement by visiting the Bills & Payments page via mypurdue.purdue.edu and click the link “Acknowledge Your Financial Obligations” found within the Student Account section. Doing so will automatically release the hold on your account. Lack of compliance will result in your inability to register for classes, including the ability to drop or add courses.
I am planning to graduate this term. Do I have to complete the statement?
- You are required to complete the Financial Responsibility Statement only if you will continue to attend Purdue University after graduation -- either as an undergraduate or a graduate or professional student.
Why is Purdue University doing this?
- Attending Purdue University creates a financial obligation. We feel it is important that students understand and acknowledge the financial responsibilities associated with attendance.
Do other institutions do this?
- Yes. It is a common practice among higher education institutions across the United States, and it is consistent with the national movement to increase financial literacy among college students.
How do I complete the Financial Responsibility Statement?
- Students agree to the terms and conditions of the Financial Responsibility Statement each academic year with an electronic signature through their myPurdue Account. Click here for step by step instructions.
When is the statement effective?
- The Financial Responsibility Statement is required upon the acceptance of your admission offer and renewed annually prior to spring registration.
Why do I have to do this every year?
- Each year’s registration is considered to be a separate commitment or “purchase” for which a student must accept financial responsibility.
My parents pay my tuition. Can they complete the form?
- No. While payment by a third party is acceptable, it is the enrolled student who is ultimately responsible for agreeing to the terms and conditions of the Financial Responsibility Statement.
What if I have an appointment or a scholarship that covers the cost of tuition?
- Because certain eligibility is required and must be maintained in order to have the cost of attending Purdue University covered by other means, students who have their cost of attendance paid by graduate fee authorizations, appointments, sponsorship, scholarships, or other third-parties are ultimately financially responsible for these costs. As such, all students must agree to the Financial Responsibility Statement each year for which they are enrolled.
What if do not submit the statement?
- Students who do not complete the Financial Responsibility Statement prior to registering will have a Registration Hold placed on their account, preventing them from registering, adding, or dropping courses. Once the statement is completed for the year, the hold is removed.
I accepted the Financial Responsibility Statement, but still can’t register what should I do?
First, check to see if you have any other active holds which require your attention. If not, contact the Office of the Bursar at email@example.com or 765-494-7570 between the hours of 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday.