Links: Secondary Navigation
In Buildings and Grounds, we take our charge to maintain and protect the University's physical facilities very seriously. We are committed to taking a leadership role in protecting our resources and minimizing our ecological impact. We partner with student and academic organizations to promote and support a variety of sustainability issues
Here are some of the initiatives with which Buildings & Grounds is involved:
- Retro-commissioning of academic buildings for energy efficiency (e.g. fine tuning the mechanical systems to reflect changes in building use).
- The "Black & Gold & Green" environmentally safe cleaning program, which is based on bio-renewable chemistry instead of petrochemicals. Our pilot program is expanding beyond Discovery Park.
- Partnering with Intercollegiate Athletics and the student organization Boiler Green Initiative to remove recyclables from Ross-Ade Stadium during football season.
- Replacement of older T-12 fluorescent lights with more energy efficient T-8 lighting.
- Carbon dioxide sensors that tell systems when lecture halls are empty, and occupancy sensors that signal when restrooms are not being used, lessening the need for air treatment in those areas.
- Use of soy-based hydraulic oil in elevators.
- Partnering with the Horticulture & Landscape Architecture academic department to establish a campus-wide arboretum.
- Composting operations for animal waste, leaves and brush that also support the cities of Lafayette and West Lafayette.
- Recycling programs that capture and divert paper, cardboard, metal, plastic, glass, wood, e-waste, batteries, and construction debris. There are more than 200 Recycling Centers strategically placed in buildings across campus, along with recycling containers that collect office paper in another 1500 work areas.
- Use of environmentally preferred products like low VOC-emitting paints, carpeting and resilient flooring made from "green" resources, new technology emergency lighting, can liners, hand towels and mop heads made from recycled materials.
- Partnering with the student organization Boiler Green Initiative to plant and maintain a green roof on Schleman Hall of Student Services
Through these efforts, along with many others, we are ensuring that Buildings and Grounds continues to be on the leading edge of campus stewardship, that we reduce our environmental impact, and that we are a model for our peers.
Learn more about campus-wide Sustainability efforts at: http://www.purdue.edu/sustainability/.