Website Status Update
The functions previously performed by the Office of the University Architect (OUA) are now addressed by Physical and Capital Planning (P&CP), Project Management and Construction (PM&C), and Energy and Engineering Services (EES). The P&CP website is available here. The Energy and Engineering Services website is available here. A new PM&C website is currently under development, however, essential information will be maintained in this location until the new website is launched. Thank you for your patience as these enhancements are completed.
Clients have several options available to them when the project planning begins. The project manager assigned to your project will help you determine which options are the most time efficient and cost effective, while still delivering the excellent quality you expect. All projects must proceed according to the codes, policies, and bylaws that may apply to each situation.
Design | Construction
- OUA's Design staff, generally for projects valued at less than $50K
- Often less expensive than an Architectural & Engineering (A/E) firm
- Greater familiarity with campus and Operations & Maintenance (O&M) staff
- OUA design staff must perform design if O&M will perform the construction.
- However, OUA staff is limited - our schedule may not meet your needs
- A/E firm, for any size project
- Greater availability
- Specialists can be hired to match specific project scope
- Generally the preferred option for projects valued greater than $50K
- Cost more than OUA design staff
- Operations and Maintenance, for projects valued at less than $50K only
- Often less expensive than a contractor
- High quality
- Limited staff - our schedule may not meet your needs
- Contractor hired through competitive bidding process, for any size project
- Competitive bids allow for the lowest bidder
- Often more expense than O&M
- Bids are unpredictable
- Departmental staff
- May save the department money
- Staff must be trained to meet codes and safety requirements
- An estimate and design are still required to comply with codes and policies.
- Job Order Contracting
- Outside contractor in an "on call" arrangement
- Fits well with small
to medium repair jobs, new construction,
and renovation valued at
less than $750,000.
- Learn more about JOC
- Design Build