Website Status Update
The functions previously performed by the Office of the University Architect (OUA) are now addressed by Physical and Capital Planning (P&CP), Project Management and Construction (PM&C), and Energy and Engineering Services (EES). The P&CP website is available here. The Energy and Engineering Services website is available here. A new PM&C website is currently under development, however, essential information will be maintained in this location until the new website is launched. Thank you for your patience as these enhancements are completed.
Procurring & Receiving
It is always best to start "early" on a furniture project!
The Office of the University Architect has developed standards and recommendations to assist you with the procurement of your office furniture requirements. These standards have been developed to assure you of exceptional quality and service while functionality and efficient use of University funds.
Our preferred furniture suppliers have been selected based on their commitment to the University recommended furniture standards. They have agreed to and support the following:
- Use of GSA, U.S. Communities or manufacturer buying agreements established with Purchasing for pricing.
- Deliver/ install, clean, inspect furniture and remove cardboard and trash (this does not include removal of existing furnishings or furniture).
- Provide design service and office space planning. Some will charge an additional fee for revisions.
- Products may be viewed at their show rooms or at various campus locations. Paper brochures may be acquired buy calling the Furniture Buyer or Assistant Buyer (see the staff directory web site below)
Following are the companies used as part of Purdue's Furniture Standards Program.
Each link will take you directly to the line that is used within that company.
After viewing the web sites, please contact the Furniture Buyer or Assistant Buyer listed in OUA staff directory and they will contact a representative from the corresponding dealership. That representative will meet with the customer to determine their furniture needs. A drawing and a quote will follow the visit. If the drawing/quote is acceptable, the order can be placed in SRM.
Wood Product Lines
Metal Product Lines
Other Things to Remember When Purchasing Furniture
On the SRM order:
- Indicate the location, building, room number, contact person and telephone number for delivery and installation in the "Vendor Text" field.
- Manufacturer name (i.e. Kimball) item description (office furniture) should be listed in the "description" field.
- All finishes, fabric options must also be listed in the "Vendor Text" field if not listed on the quote.
- Provide a desired delivery date. Typical lead-time for furniture orders is 6 to 8 weeks.
After receipt of the items ordered, check immediately for correctness and damages. Report any discrepancies to the dealer immediately. If everything is acceptable with the order, "receive" the item in SRM.
Furniture is made to order and is not returnable. Once a purchase order is placed with the manufacturer, it cannot be cancelled.
Dealers that sell quality product do not carry an inventory of furniture to be purchased.
Purchasing does not carry an inventory of new or used furniture.
RETURN TO TOP
How to Buy Seating
Office Task Chairs
Purdue employees are very fortunate to have an administration that is committed to an ergonomic program that is provided by REM (Radiological and Environmental Management), located in CIVL. Money is allocated each year to meet the ergonomic needs of faculty & staff.
To purchase task chairs, the employee should contact the Furniture Assistant Buyer in Freehafer Hall (see contact information below) to request a chair evaluation. The Assistant Buyer will assist the employee in determining the correct chair (only) and provide them with the ordering information. The department is responsible for ordering the chair and paying 100% of the purchase.
Office Side Chairs
Office side chairs are chairs that have 4 legs or a sled base. These chairs may be purchased through the Guy Brown catalog available in the Departmental Business Office. The fabric selections on these chairs are very limited. If the chairs shown are not acceptable and other options are needed please call the Furniture Buyer or Asst. Buyer for alternatives.
Student / Computer Lab Chairs
Purdue has standardized on two chairs for students, they are Biofit and United Zing. Current pricing and fabric choices may be obtained by contacting the Furniture Asst. Buyer
RETURN TO TOP
How to Buy Window Treatments
Mini blinds may be ordered by sending an 18A to Purdue's blind shop. Description should read: "Furnish & install mini blind in ________ (building) Room #________."
Someone from the blind shop will measure the window and provide samples from which to choose a color.
If vertical blinds or draperies are needed, please contact the Furniture Buyer. The buyer will send a representative to meet with the end-user, measure the window(s) and provide a quote. The order will then be placed in SRM by the department.
If the end-user has received a specification form from an outside interiors firm (i.e. Resident Halls & Rowland Design), the specification sheet must be sent to the Buyer. The buyer will then send a quote sheet to a drapery vendor. The quote will be returned to the buyer and then faxed to the contact person. The order will be placed in SRM by the department.
RETURN TO TOP
How to Buy Carpet
Carpeting may be purchased for spaces on campus. However you must follow the guidelines described in the University Carpet Policy.
If the space meets all the qualifications then the next step is to contact the Carpet Buyer to set up an appointment at FREH to choose a carpet. It will be helpful to know the answers to the following questions prior to your visit.
- Does the department want the carpet vendor to remove existing carpet?
- Does the department want the carpet to be glued down or stretched over pad?
- Please note the color of the walls and existing cove base. A new cove base color will need to be selected.
- Are there any particular time-lines involved?
If the space does not meet the qualifications, please fill out the Carpet Exception Form and send to: Carpet Buyer/OUA/FREH or fax it to (765) 496-1579. Please include the contact name and number for the Carpet Buyer to call to set up an appointment.
After the carpet has been selected the Carpet Buyer will send the information to a carpet vendor for a quote. The carpet vendor will come to the space, measure and return the quote to the Carpet Buyer. It will be signed by the buyer and faxed to the department for entry into SRM.
RETURN TO TOP
- Pam Burns - Furniture Buyer (765) 494-7272
- Deb Walker - Furniture Assistant Buyer (765) 494-8668