- Respond to emails and phone calls from students and their family members, faculty, and University staff; includes international and exchange students prior to their arrival.
- Provide student letters of recommendation, at discretion of advisor.
- Assess when a situation calls for more probing questions.
- Make explicit students' responsibility for their own academic and professional success.
- Build and maintain contacts with other college/department advising units.
- Communicate with students regarding curricular and cocurricular opportunities.
Senior Academic Advisor
- Train academic advisors on communication skills regarding curricular and cocurricular opportunities.
- Represent the college/department on a variety of curricular and cocurricular topics through participation at student events/activities.
- Participate and/or present at conferences, workshops and other professional development activities.
- Conduct communication functions as assigned by the director.
- Communicates with other department and University administrators; resolves or assists with the resolution of sensitive issues.
- Represent director at various University meetings.
- Maintain and update college/department website, with guidance from director.
- Communicate with students and parents about various curricular and cocurricular opportunities and upcoming deadlines (through newsletters, regular emails, etc.).
- Direct communication efforts for the college; responsible for overall messaging on college/department website.
- Promote the University by participating in community, state, and national events or meetings, and by developing partnerships with industry and secondary education institutions.
- Provide communication to all staff.