Mission, Vision and Outcomes
The mission of undergraduate advising at Purdue is to partner with students, faculty, staff, departments and administration to empower students to develop and implement an individualized plan for academic success, and personal and career development, while integrating learning and enrichment within the University and community, as well as assisting students in understanding the nature, purpose and value of higher education.
Purdue University aspires to be recognized for excellence in academic advising as compared to our peer and aspirant institutions.
Academic Advising at Purdue will …
- Assist students in assessing their interests and abilities, examining their educational goals, making decisions and developing short-term and long-term plans to meet their objectives.
- Students will identify fields of study that are consistent with their interests, abilities and life goals.
- Provide accurate and timely information about degree requirements and institutional policies, procedures, and courses so students can select appropriate courses and other educational experiences.
- Students will develop and implement a meaningful educational plan.
- Evaluate and monitor student academic progress and empower students to demonstrate self-direction and self-sufficiency in the achievement of their educational goals.
- Students will know how to locate University policies and procedures regarding registration, academic standing and student conduct.
- Students will identify and utilize resources independently to evaluate their progress toward degree completion.
- Make students aware of and refer to educational and institutional resources and services (e.g., internship, study abroad, honors, service-learning, research opportunities, adaptive services, academic success center).
- Students will know where and how to access appropriate support services to accommodate their unique needs.