Your Name
Friend's Email Address

Foreign Language Placement

  • Either the CEEB-AP or Purdue’s exam is acceptable to determine foreign language placement.
  • If no CEEB-AP or Purdue exam is offered in a language that is taught at Purdue, a placement exam can be arranged with a Purdue FLL faculty member.
  • Students placed in courses 101-202 who feel the test did not accurately reflect their proficiency are encouraged to consult the language coordinator or chair about placement in a different level.
    • It is up to the student and his/her advisor to initiate such a request.
    • Appeals can be made only during the regular academic year
  • Refer to the heritage speakers page for information on placing these students

Purdue's Foreign Language Placement Exam

  • Placement exams are only offered in languages taught at Purdue.
  • Students must have a picture ID and a signed Credit/Placement Exam Authorization Form (form 231) with them to take the test.
  • Exams are free of charge.
  • Students may take the placement exam in a language only once.
  • Read who is required to take the placement exam

Transfer Students

  • Students with college credit in a foreign language taught at Purdue will be placed at the next-higher level unless the language chair or the academic advisor for FLL recommends remediation.
  • For assistance placing transfer students with undistributed credit (none of whom may take the placement exam), consult the FLL advisor.
  • Students who lost credit by exam or departmental credit upon transfer to Purdue may complete a course at the next-higher level, after which the advisor can apply to the language chair for departmental credit.

E-mail Webmaster
Maintained by: Undergraduate Studies Program

Student Access, Transition and Success, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907
© 2009 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints