Requirements for Taking the Foreign Language Placement Exam
Who Must Take the Exam
- Students who took two or more years of a foreign language in high school or junior high school within the past five years and
- Wish to continue in that language at Purdue.
Who May Not Take the Exam
- Students with college credit in the language (Purdue or transfer). Review the transfer students with foreign language credit page for details.
- Native speakers: Those who have graduated from a secondary school where the main language of instruction was in their native language.
- Native speakers are not to enroll in any language skills course (101-402, 424) in their language.
- They may be placed into CONTENT courses (literature, civilization, or culture) in their language (241 and above) by either the language chair or the FLL advisor.
- To fulfill the CLA other language core requirement, native speakers may take either 1) a course in English or American literature or 2) a literature, civilization, or culture course in their native language.
- Near-native speakers should be referred to the language chair for proper placement.
- Please refer to the Chinese placement policies for details about native speakers of Chinese.