Foreign Language Placement Exam Dates and Formats
- Placement exams in French, German, Japanese, Latin, Russian, and Spanish are offered during STAR, BGR, and on specified dates in November and April. View the exam schedule.
- Placement exams in Greek (Ancient), Hebrew (Biblical and Modern), Italian, and Portuguese are available during the regular semester. Refer the student to the language chair.
- Please refer to the Chinese placement policies for details about this exam and its requirements.
- Chinese exams take about one hour and include written (on paper) and oral sections. Please refer to the Chinese placement policies for details about this exam and its requirements.
- French, German, and Spanish exams take about 25 minutes on the computer and consist of listening comprehension, reading comprehension, and grammar. Questions are multiple choice.
- Japanese exams take about one hour on paper.
- Latin and Russian exams take about 35 minutes on paper.
- Other languages: the nature of the exam varies with the FLL faculty examiner.