Where Is My Span Plan Pen? Span Plan Happenings 2009-2010
Span Plan is now in its 41st year of serving the needs of the adult students population at Purdue. Over the years the program and services have changed and adapted with the times. In addition to the current array of services and programs (which can be found at http://www.purdue.edu/ODOS/spanplan/Welcome.html ) Span Plan has several initiatives in the works.
One of the major focuses for Span Plan this academic year is going green in whatever ways are possible.
- Span Plan has not sent the usual “first of the semester” packet to advisors and administrations, thinking that a more effective (and tree saving method) would be to send an email (assuming there is time to compose it!) with all the updated programming information. The glitch is, how will Span Plan deliver the customary and popular Span Plan pens?
- Student Services Computing has been designing web pages that will administer most of the Span Plan tutoring program online, saving not only paper and precious trees, but also much needed administrative time.
- Once the online tutoring project is completed, the next targets for online administration are the grant and scholarship programs.
After a hiatus of several years, the two adult student organizations are up and running again.
- Span Plan hosted an induction ceremony for Alpha Sigma Lambda last May. The organization now has active officers to assist in the administration of the next induction ceremony.
- PAS-Network (Purdue Adult Student Network) had their first call out in several years on September 16 th. The officers and advisor were very pleased with the turnout. The group plans to have monthly meetings alternating fun activities with educational seminars. The October meeting will focus on writing effective scholarship essays.
Span Plan will also be hosting focus groups this academic year. It will be assessing for the awareness level of the Span Plan Program among adult students, the effectiveness of its services and program, and to entertain any ideas for improvement.
Span Plan continues is long and rich history of providing services to the adult student population of Purdue and adapting to their ever changing needs.