Students in Purdue’s art education program develop a broad understanding of the visual arts and the desire to communicate this understanding to others. The program provides a solid foundation in the liberal arts as well as specialized skills in studio arts, curriculum planning, teaching strategies, and verbal communication. Students may enroll in a comprehensive visual arts curriculum or one with an emphasis in applied design. Course work provides a balance between the theoretical and practical needs of teachers. Throughout the program, under the supervision of faculty members, students receive practicum experiences by observing in the public schools.
- K-12 art teacher in public schools
- Art teacher in private or alternative schools
- Teaching positions in museums or historical association
- Graduate or professional school
- Education leadership roles