Dewson - Fellowship for Underrepresented Students
Departmental Nomination Required
Dewson Fellowships are awarded to underrepresented graduate students who are facing serious, unanticipated funding problems that jeopardize completion of a degree program. Awards will be made based on evaluation of student's need, academic potential, impact of the fellowship on degree completion, and availability of funds. The Fellowship award is a one-time award and is not renewable. Nominations may be submitted at any time, but preference is given to nominations submitted prior to the beginning of the fall term.
- Nominees must be currently registered full-time degree-seeking graduate students in good academic standing.
- Nominees must be U. S. citizens of African-American, Mexican-American, Puerto Rican, or Native American descent.
Award amount: Dewson Fellowship stipend amounts will vary, although the awards will be sufficient to carry tuition and fee coverage or will accompany a waiver-generating appointment.
Nomination procedure: One copy of the following information should be forwarded by the applicant's department to the Graduate College Fellowship Office, 209 Coble Hall, MC-322. Incomplete files will not be considered.
- Graduate College Form
- Department nomination letter from the department executive officer or graduate program director, including a statement about possible financial support following the fellowship term.
- Letter of support from the student's adviser, including specific comments on the student's research project, progress toward degree, and proposed timetable for completion
- Letter of application from the student that provides an explanation of the circumstances that justify awarding a Dewson Fellowship, the amount of funding requested, the period for which funding is requested, an estimate of the expenses that need to be covered, a summary of previous and current funding, a description of the student's research project, progress toward degree, and a general timetable for degree completion.
- Copy of the student's application for admission, including admission test scores (GRE, GMAT, etc.), the student's statement of purpose, and letters of reference.
- Illinois transcript (an unofficial transcript is acceptable, as long as it is current).
Graduate College Fellowship Office
Tel: (217) 333-0036