10. Don't be stupid. How about ... doing 21 push-ups ... eating 21 jalapeno poppers or hitting 21 shots ... with a basketball. But 21 shots of alcohol? Bad idea.
9. Sober driver, Sober driver, Sober driver. How many times do we have to say this?
8. Celebrate with friends you trust - the ones who have enough sense to keep you from losing control, out of jail, or will call for an ambulance if you need it. They might even buy you a gift.
7. Can you say "alternate?" If you alternate between alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks throughout the night (we're partial to thirst-quenching water), your body will thank you. Alcohol dehydrates the body. Water helps.
6. Do we have to send you back to kindergarten for this message again? Don't take a drink from a stranger or leave your drink unattended. There just might be a special dose of a date-rape drug inside (but remember that alcohol is THE #1 date-rape drug).
5. All drinks are not created equally . . . Usually, a drink is one 12 oz. beer, one shot of 80-proof liquor, or one 4 oz. glass of wine. But, even within each category, there are varying alcohol contents, e.g. regular beer has more alcohol than light beer, and tequila has more alcohol than schnapps. If you don't know how much alcohol you're drinking, ask your server!
4. Eat birthday cake, nachos, or pizza before you go out. Food fills you up and slows alcohol absorption, too.
3. Alcohol is sexist! It treats men and women differently due to body size, composition and hormones.
2. Ask your friendly pharmacist to wish you a happy birthday. Some medications should not be combined with alcohol. Your pharmacist will tell you if you can drink safely.
1. Whoa! Slow down! Enjoy all 1,440 minutes of your birthday. Take your time. You don't want to just remember the first fifteen minutes, do you?